Monumental Heritage of the Smederevo and Braničevo Region

Map of Monuments of the Smederevo and Braničevo Region
(click the image for enhanced view)

 

    Kraku lu Jordan (128)

The Kraku lu Jordan archeological site is located 15 km east of Kučevo, in the district of the village Brodice. The central part of the site represents a fortified complex, located on a small elevation above the mouth of the Brodice river into the river Pek, in the ore-filled Pek district, which had a central position and was in a central place, not just in the process of mining and processing gold, copper and iron, but also as a place for the supervision, production, keeping and further distribution of metal. It was raised at the end of the III century, and it lasted and grew until the end of the IV century, when it perished in a great fire. The fortification was not renewed after that, and the metallurgic activities were most probably not renewed either, although there are traces of Medieval pottery. During the archeological excavations, performed with pauses from 1971 to 1991, material traces dating from the Bronze Age were also found inside the fortification.

  • M. Tomović, Kraku lu Jordan and gold mining and metallurgy in antiquity, Starinar n.s. L, Belgrade, 2000, 155-185

    3. Base of fortification with surroundings

    4. Part of the preserved buildings - view to the east

    5. Part of the preserved buildings - view to the west

    6. Ceramic pot

     

    Viminacium (132)

The Viminacium archeological site is located 12 km north of Požarevac, near Old Kostolac. The core of the site is located along the Čair route, where the remains of a Roman military camp and settlement from the second half of the I century were discovered at the end of the 19th century. In the wide are of the plain along the right and left banks of the Mlava river, not far from where it joins the Danube, there are a number of other, smaller, settlements, necropolises and fortifications from the Ancient and early Byzantine periods. Numerous archeological findings, discovered during over a century of excavations, testify to the extremely long time span of human activity in this region, from the XII century b.c. to the 17th century a.d. Viminacium was the capital of the Roman province of Upper Mezia, which was prosperous from the beginning of the III century, during the rule of Septimius Severus, until he ravaging of the Huns in 441. During that period it received the status of colony, the right to forge coins, and it also became a bishopric center.
  • D. Spasić-Đurić, Viminicium-capital of the Roman province Upper Mezia, Požarevac, 2002

 

    7. Sarcophagus, II-III century

    8. Map of Viminicium and surroundings, according to F. Kanic

    9. Monument from Viminicium built into the Nimnik monastery

    10. Frescoes from tombs, IV century

 

    The Golubac Fort (2)

It is located on the right shore of the Danube, at the very beginning of the Đerdap cliffs. It dates from the end of the thirteenth century, and due to its very important strategic position, Byzantine, Hungary, Bulgaria, Turkey and Serbia frequently fought over it. It was built in several phases, on high rocks, and is of an irregular shape. The original conception was from the time when cold weapons were used, and it was later adapted for the use of firearms. It is divided into the lower and upper, the inner and outer fortification, and according to the time of construction into the older and younger. The main entrance to the Town is from the western side, with a moat in front. It has nine massive stone towers, five of which belong to the older, inner fortification, and the remaining four to the younger, outer one. The main tower - the Hat Tower, is in the upper part of the inner fortification, and in the lower one there is a palace. In one of the towers there is a chapel.
  • M. Cunjak, Č. Jordović, The Medieval town of Golubac, Smederevo 2002

    11. General appearance of the Golubac fort

    12. Šešir-kula ("Hat" tower)

    Up: 13. Turkish tower

    Right: 14. Base of the fort - present state

     

    18. Despot Tower with Inscription

    The Smederevo Fort (4)

It occupies an important geo-strategic position, where the Jezava flows into the Danube. It was raised during the time of Despot Đurađ Branković, as the center of the secular and the church authorities.

It is of triangular shape, with an area of around 11 ha, and divided into the Small and Large Town.

The Small Town is a separately fortified manor of the rulers, built between 1428 and 1430, to which the inscription of the Despot Tower testifies. It has six towers and tall stone walls, and of particular interest is the palace with a hall that has three biforiums on the wall towards the Danube.

The Large Town was, for the most part, built by 1439, and there were a military and a civil settlement in it. It has 19 towers and stone walls 1.9 - 4.5 m thick, of a total length of cca 1250 m.

After the final fall of Smederevo to the Turks in 1459, the Medieval Serbian state ceased to exist. In 1480 the Turks built outer walls around the entire Fort, and four polygonal towers with cannon slits.

  • J. Nešković, The Town of Smederevo, Smederevo 1975; M. Cunjak, The Smederevo Fort, Smederevo 1998.

     

    15. Small Town

    16. Base of the Smederevo FortOsnova smederevske tvrđave

    17. Biforium of the Hall

    18. Despot Tower

     

    The Pokajnica Monastery (6)

The church-log house of the Pokajnica Monastery, dedicated to the Translation of the Relics of St. Nicholas, was raised in 1818, to which the inscription in the plank left of the entrance testifies. It was raised by Vujica Bulićević, first Duke and then Prince of the Smederevo nahia, as a sign of his repentance for the murder of Karađorđe. It served as a church until 1954, when it was turned into a monastery. It has a one-nave base of 15,3/5,8 m, and the height of 7,7 m. It has a porch, which is believed to have been built in 1880, a narthex with a choir gallery, a naos and an altar, and is built entirely of oak timber, with foundations of crushed stone. It has a barrel vault made of beech and a slanting roof covered with oak shingles. The iconostasis is the work of Konstantin Zograf, somewhere in the 1830's. South-west of the church there is a wooden bell tower, and further west old residential buildings, probably dating from the time the church was built.
  • D. St. Pavlović, Church-log houses in Serbia, Saopštenja V (Beograd 1962) 149-154; D. Mitošević, The Pokajnica Monastery near Velika Plana, Smederevo 1973.

     

19. Church with bell tower

20. Western view of the church

21. Iconostasis

22. Base

 

Radovanjski Lug Grove (134)

The place where Đorđe Petrović – Karađorđe, leader of the first Serbian Rebellion (against the Turks) was killed on July 13th 1817. The total area under protection by the Regional Bureau is 62 ća 64 a 34 m2, most of it under oak forest. The place where Karađorđe was buried is marked by a wooden cross and a memorial plaque. In the spot where the wooden cabin that the murder took place in was located the "Zahvalnica" church, dedicated to St. Archangel Gabriel, was raised in 1930, built of bricks in the Serbian-Byzantine style, 13,58/10,53 m and 17,39 m high. In the church there is an iconostasis with 7 icons of particular value and the painting " Karađorđe" by Paja Jovanović, oil on canvas, 1,1/2,1 m, which has the status of a cultural monument. This area is protected on two bases: as a Memorial Natural Monument, according to the provisions of the Law on Environmental Protection, and as a Place of Significance, according to the provisions of the Law on the Protection of Cultural Objects.
  • K. Nenadović, The Life and Work of the Great Đorđe Petrović and his Dukes and Heroes I, Vienna 1883, 456-462

23. Painting of Karađorđe- by Paja Jovanović

24. The Gratitude ("Zahvalnica") Church

25. The place where Karađorđe was buried

26. Position of the Radovanjski lug Grove

 

 

27. Church of the Dormition of the Holy Mother of God in Smederevo (13)

28. The Koporin Monastery (5)

29. Church of St. Archangel Michael - Zaova (5)

30. The Vitovnica Monastery (9)

31. Complex of the Metropolis and Annunciation Monasteries (Blagoveštenje)

32. The Gornjak Monastery (8)

Left: 33 . Church of the Nativity of the Most Holy Theotokos - Trška church (11)

35. Church-log house of St. George in Krnjevo (14)

36. Church-log house of Sts. Peter and Paul in Lozovik (15)

37. Church-log house of St. Prophet Elijah in Smederevska Palanka (18)

38. Church-log house of the Holy Trinity in Selevac (17)

39. Inn of the Mladenović family in Saraorci (79)

40. Mill of Sima Grujić in Krepoljin

41. House of the Grujić family in Ceremošnja (97)

42. Part of the Bistrica village (114)

43. Municipal Authorities building in Veliko Gradište (55)

44. County Authorities building in Smederevo (58)

45. Building in 110 Veljka Dugoševića st. in Golubac (64)

44. County Authorities building in Požareva (57)

47. Lederata - fortification (117)

48. Čačalica - memorial park (135)

49. Manastirište site in the village Ždrelo

50. Ram Fort (1)

 

MONUMENTS

The serial numbers by which all immovable cultural objects are marked on the map are given in the first column.

The names of the cultural objects are unified to give a clearer overview, so that in some cases there were slight changes in comparison with the names under which they were entered into the register.

All immovable cultural objects have been classified into four units and according to types, and within them they were classified by municipality, which are listed by alphabetical order.

Immovable cultural objects that are in the process of being removed from the register are marked by one *

The dating of the archeological sites was marked in the following manner: P - prehistory, A - Classical Age, S - Middle Age.

In the categorization column immovable cultural objects of extreme significance were marked •••, and immovable cultural objects of great significance with ••. Uncategorized immovable cultural objects are marked •.

Immovable cultural objects that are in the process of being established were not entered into the table.

 

s. n.

name

location

municipality

period

categor.

Year of categorization/ establishment

1.

Ram Fort

Ram

V. Gradište

End of 15th century

••

1948/79.

2.

Golubac Fort

Golubac

Golubac

End of 13th century

•••

1948/79.

3.

Kulič Fort

Kulič

Smederevo

Ancient - medieval

•

1948.

4

Smederevo Fort

Smederevo

Smederevo

First half of 15th century

•••

1946.-75/79.

5.

Koporin Monastery

V. Plana

V. Plana

Beginning of 15th century

••

1951/79.

6.

Pokajnica Monastery

S. Selo

V. Plana

1818.

•••

1948/79.

7.

Nimnik Monastery

Kurjače

V. Gradište

15th/19th century

•

1981.

8.

Gornjak Monastery

Breznica

Žagubica

End of 14th century

••

1973/79.

9.

Vitovnica Monastery

Vitovnica

Petrovac

13th/19th century

••

1975/83.

10.

Metropolis and Annunciation Monasteries (Blagoveštenje)

Ždrelo

Petrovac

14th-15th century

••

1977/79.

11.

Church of the Nativity of the Most Holy Theotokos – Trška church

Vukovac

Žagubica

End of the 13th century

••

1951/79.

12.

Church of St. Archangel Michael - Zaova

Toponica

M. Crniće

15th/19th

•

1982.

13.

Church of the Dormition of the Holy Mother of God

Smederevo

Smederevo

15th century

••

1947/79.

14.

Church-log house of St. George

Krnjevo

V. Plana

Mid 18th century

••

1948/83.

15.

Church-log house of Sts. Peter and Paul

Lozovik

V. Plana

cca 1830.

•

1948.

16.

Church-log house of the Nativity of the Most Holy Theotokos*

Četereže

Žabari

1805.

•

1982.

17.

Church-log house of the Holy Trinity

Selevac

S. Palanka

cca 1830.

••

1983/87.

18.

Church-log house of St. Prophet Elijah

S. Palanka

S. Palanka

cca 1830.

••

1948/83.

19.

Church of Sts. Peter and Paul

Lozovik

V. Plana

1894.

•

1988.

20.

Church of the Nativity of the Most Holy Theotokos

Miloševac

V. Plana

1870.

•

1988.

21.

Church of St. George

N. Selo

V. Plana

1893.

•

1988.

22.

Church of the Holy Ascension

S. Selo

V. Plana

1882.

•

1986.

 23.

Church of St. Archangel Gabriel

V. Gradište

V. Gradište

1847.

•

1981.

24.

Church of St. Nicholas

Kisiljevo

V. Gradište

1826.

•

1983.

25.

Church of St. Prophet Jeremiah

Braničevo

Golubac

1874-76.

•

1985.

26.

Church of St. Nicholas

Golubac

Golubac

1830-40.

•

1983.

27.

Church of St. Nicholas

Aleksandrovac

Žabari

1884.

•

1985.

28.

Church of the Holy Ascension

Žabari

Žabari

1874.

•

1985.

29.

Church of the Dormition of the Holy Mother of God

Oreovica

Žabari

1825.

•

1982.

30.

Church of St. Paraskeva

Porodin

Žabari

1872.

•

1987.

31.

Church of St. Elijah

Simićevo

Žabari

1901.

•

1987.

32.

Church of the Nativity of the Most Holy Theotokos

Četereže

Žabari

1854.

•

1982.

33.

Church of the Holy Trinity

Žagubica

Žagubica

1873-75.

•

1983.

34.

Church of the Holy Ascension

Kučevo

Kučevo

1903-08.

•

1983.

35.

Church of St. Thomas

Boževac

M. Crniće

1890.

•

1986.

36.

Church of St. Ignatius of Antioch

M. Crniće

M. Crniće

1892-94.

•

1984.

37.

Church of the Five Holy Martyrs

Smoljinac

M. Crniće

1847.

•

1983.

38.

Church of the Holy Transfiguration

Šapine

M. Crniće

middle of 19th cent.

•

1990.

39. 

Church of the Holy Ascension

Petrovac

Petrovac

1866-69.

•

1983.

40.

Church of Sts. Peter and Paul

Ranovac

Petrovac

1876.

•

1987.

41.

Church of St. Archangel Michael, school and cemetery

Šetonje

Petrovac

cca 1830.

•

1986.

42.

Church of St. Tryphon

Kličevac

Požarevac

1902.

•

2000.

43.

Church of St. Archangels Michael and Gabriel

Požarevac

Požarevac

1818-23.

•

1990.

44.

Church of St. Nicholas

Požarevac

Požarevac

1890.

•

2000.

45.

Church of St. George

St. Kostolac

Požarevac

1924.

•

2000.

46.

Church of St. Prophet Jeremiah

Vrbovac

Smederevo

1936-38.

•

2000.

47.

Church of Sts. Peter and Paul

Kolari

Smederevo

1847.

•

1986.

48.

Church of the Nativity of the Most Holy Theotokos

Lipe

Smederevo

1884.

•

2000.

49.

Church of St. Prophet Elijah

Mihajlovac

Smederevo

1873.

•

2000.

50.

Church of St. Archangel Gabriel

Osipaonica

Smederevo

1826.

•

1967.

 51.

Church of St. George

Smederevo

Smederevo

1850-54.

•

1982.

52.

Church of Sts. Cosmas and Damian

Azanja

S. Palanka

1884-85.

•

2000.

53.

Church of St. Archangel Gabriel

Kusadak

S. Palanka

1841-47.

•

1987.

54.

Church of the Holy Transfiguration

S. Palanka

S. Palanka

1868-70.

•

1982.

55.

Municipal Authorities building

V. Gradište

V. Gradište

beg. of 20th cent.

•

1981.

56.

Complex of the old court, municipality and post-office

Petrovac

Petrovac

beg. of 20th cent.

•

1983.

57.

County Authorities building

Požarevac

Požarevac

1888-89.

••

1980/83.

58.

County Authorities building

Smederevo

Smederevo

1886-88.

••

1981/83.

59.

Building of the old municipal house

Smederevo

Smederevo

1926.

•

1986.

60.

Building of the old slaughter-house

V. Plana

V. Plana

beg. of 20th cent.

•

1983.

61.

Building in 79 Miloš Veliki st.

V. Plana

V. Plana

1922.

•

1997.

62.

Old power plant, administrative building, dam, inflow and outflow canals on the river Pek

V. Gradište

V. Gradište

1914.

•

1983.

63.

Building in 102 Veljka Dugoševića st.

Golubac

Golubac

1890-91.

•

1987.

64.

Building in 110 Veljka Dugoševića st.

Golubac

Golubac

1893.

•

1983.

65.

School building and old house with porch

Viteževo

Žabari

1894.

•

1987.

66.

Stone bridge on the Burovac river

Burovac

Petrovac

1910.

•

1988.

67.

Building of the old bishopric manor

Požarevac

Požarevac

end of 19th cent.

•

1991.

68.

Two old buildings in 31 Nemanjina st.

Požarevac

Požarevac

first half of 19th cent.

•

1969.

69.

Building in 46 Nemanjina st.

Požarevac

Požarevac

beg. of 19th cent.

•

1969.

70.

Gymnasium building

Smederevo

Smederevo

1871.

•

1981.

71.

Building of Smederevo's First Loan Bank

Smederevo

Smederevo

1903-04.

•

1982.

72.

Building of the Farmer Union

Azanja

S. Palanka

1920.

•

1982

73.

Gymnasium building

S. Palanka

S. Palanka

1928-29.

•

1983.

74.

National Museum building

S. Palanka

S. Palamka

middle of 19th cent.

•

1982.

75.

Inn in village center*

Laznica

Žagubica

middle of 19th cent.

•

1998.

76

Životić family inn

Orljevo

Petrovac

middle of 19th cent.

•

1986.

77

Tasić family inn

Petrovac

Petrovac

1868.

•

1998.

78

Šterić family inn

Osipaonica

Smederevo

first half of 19th cent.

•

1981.

79.

Mladenović family inn

Saraorci

Smederevo

first half of 19th cent.

••

1981/83.

80.

Mill of Vojislav Stefanović

Kusiće

V. Gradište

beg. of 20th cent.

•

1986.

81.

Mill of the Mišić family

Kučevo

Kučevo

middle of 19th cent.

•

1985.

82.

Mill of Vitomir Đorđević

Turija

Kučevo

middle of 19th cent.

•

1992.

83.

Mill of Miroslav Stanimirović

Crljenac

M. Crniće

end of 19th cent.

•

1997.

84.

Rolling mill in Lještar

Bistrica

Petrovac

middle of 19th cent.

•

1982.

85.

Mill of Dobrilo Ivković

M. Laole

Petrovac

end of 19th cent.

•

1988.

86.

Mill of Đorđe Trifunović

Melnica

Petrovac

middle of 19th cent.

•

1988.

87.

Building in the old village center

Ćovdin

Petrovac

end of 19th cent.

•

1982.

88.

House of Ilija Nikolić *

V. Orašje

V. Plana

middle of 19th cent.

•

1998.

89.

Log house of Dragoslav Pašić

Miloševac

V. Plana

middle of 19th cent.

•

1998.

90.

House of Svetomir Miladinović*

Ostrovo

V. Gradište

first half of 19th cent.

•

1986.

91.

House of Milan Gajić

Maleševo

Golubac

beg. of 20th cent.

•

1988.

92.

House of Jelica Stričević

Radoševac

Golubac

end of 19th cent.

•

1985.

93.

House of Dimitrije Paunović

Viteževo

Žabari

middle of 19th cent.

•

1985.

94.

House of Zdravko Stojadinović

Jošanica

Žagubica

end of 19th cent.

•

1988.

95.

House of Nenad Stojanović

Milatovac

Žagubica

beg. of 20th cent.

•

1988.

96.

House of Vukašin Milošević

Kučajna

Kučevo

middle of 19th cent.

•

1998.

97.

House of Panta Grujić

Ceremošnja

Kučevo

1900.

•

1985.

98.

House of Stamenka Živković

M. Gradište

M. Crniće

second half of 19th cent.

•

1986.

99.

House of Ljubiša Janković

Leskovac

Petrovac

second half of 19th cent.

•

1986.

100.

Complex of the Milosavljević family buildings

Drugovac

Smederevo

19th cent.

•

1986.

101.

House of Ljubomir Popović

Kolari

Smederevo

first half of 19th cent.

•

1986.

 102

House of Milivoje Manasić

Radinac

Smederevo

beg. of 19th cent.

•

1986.

103.

Nikolajević house with pharmacy

Azanja

S. Palanka

1928-29.

•

1997.

104.

Log house of Milorad Stevanović*

Golobok

S. Palanka

beg. of 19th cent.

•

1953.

105.

House of Vladislav Ćertić

Kusadak

S. Palanka

middle of 19th cent.

•

1998.

106

Monument to Serbian soldiers 1912-18.

Požarevac

Požarevac

1923.

•

1991.

107.

Grave and monument of Stanoje Glavaš

Baničina

S. Palanka

1815.

•

1970.

108

Native home of Vojislav Ilić Jr.*

Oreovica

Žabari

middle of 19th cent.

•

1982.

109.

Native home of national hero Jovan Šerbanović

Laznica

Žagubica

end of 19th cent.

•

1950.

110.

Native home of national hero Slobodan Jović

Kučevo

Kučevo

1910.

•

1950.

111.

Memorial workshop of Josip Broz

S. Palanka

S. Palanka

first half of 20th cent.

•

1982.

112.

Building in which Josip Broz lived

S. Palanka

S. Palanka

first half of 20th cent.

•

1982.

SPATIAL CULTURAL AND HISTORICAL UNITS

113.

Boris Kidrič square, park, M. Tita st. and M. Miloradovića square

B. Gradište

V. Gradište

19th cent.

•

1981.

114.

Part of the village of Bistrica

Bistrica

Petrovac

19th cent.

•

1982/87.

ARCHEOLOGICAL SITES

115.

Pinkum – fortified settlement

V. Gradište

V. Gradište

A

•

1966.

116.

Ostrovo - settlement

Ostrovo

V. Gradište

P/S

•

1966.

117.

Lederata - fortification

Ram

V. Gradište

A/S

•

1986/87.

118.

Umka - Kuzmin Hill - fortification

Vinci

Golubac

P/A/S

•

1966.

119.

Brnjica - fortification, necropolis

Golubac

Golubac

A

•

1966.

120.

Livadica - fortification

Golubac

Golubac

A

•

1966.

121.

Mala Orlova - necropolis

Golubac

Golubac

S

•

1966.

122.

Bosmanska river - fortification

Dobra

Golubac

A

•

1966.

 123.

Gospođin vir - settlement, fortification, church

Dobra

Golubac

P/A/S

•

1966.

124.

Saldum - fortification

Dobra

Golubac

A

•

1966.

125.

Turski potok - fortification

Dobra

Golubac

A

•

1966.

126.

Čezava - fortification

Dobra

Golubac

A

•

1966.

127.

Gradac - fortification, church

Krepoljin

Žagubica

S

•

1982.

128.

Kraku lu Jordan - metallurgy center

Brodica

Kučevo

A

•••

1983/83.

124.

Kalište - fortification

Kalište

M. Crniće

A

•

1982.

130.

Bradača - monastery

Kula

M. Crniće

S

•

1984.

131.

Gradac - fortification

V. Laole

Petrovac

A

•

1983.

132.

Viminacijum - fortification, settlement, necropolis

S. Kostolac

Požarevac

P/A/S

•••

1949/79.

133.

Ornice - Roman tomb, settlement

Vranovo

Smederevo

P/A

•

1968.

PLACES OF SIGNIFICANCE

134.

Radovanjski lug grove

Radovanje

V. Plana

1817.

•••

1971/79.

135.

Čačalica

Požarevac

Požarevac

1942.

••

1973/79.

 

 

 


Heritage protection • Regional Institute in Smederevo • Monuments • Miscellanea • Contact • News • Links • Marketing
Srpski ćirilica • English • Srpski latinica

Š 2003. Regional Institute for Protection of Cultural Monuments in Smederevo and respective owners of individual copyrights.
All rights reserved. For premissions click here.
Executive production: TIA Janus